Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Waiting at YVR

Is departure worth a post, even if there is no “eventful” occurrence? Well, yes. The fact that I can even embark upon this journey is rather an Event to me.
My traveling companion is Diana; we’ve known each other for over a decade, and have holidayed together in the past. We plan to spend a few days in and around Sydney, before heading along the Princes Hwy south and west, towards Melbourne. Cyclones notwithstanding, of course. Although the drive can be done in two moderately long days, or the distance covered on the inland route, we are taking it slow. We have plans to stop in a few small towns to browse, hit the beach, sit on a deck, eat and drink. There may even be some gardens and farms to visit. I’ve been invited to a few community gardens, and found one or two others on the internet.

Our flight left late, after some electrical problem was discovered at taxiing. The 777 is full, and so no “gap” seats for stretching out. My seatmate is an airline employee, flying standby, to attend a sporting event. Her party waited five days, in Vancouver, for their flight. In an effort to avoid dry, drab “plane food”, I had ordered a fruit plate ahead of time. The ability to order special meals is definitely an advantage of scheduled, over standby, travel. The fruit was cool and fresh, if not overly imaginative. What is one to do in the middle of winter anyways? I was grateful for the melons, oranges and grapes, though realized that that was all I was going to be served on the 16 hr flight. Good thing I was prepared with meal/snack bars. We had bouts of mild turbulence, but nothing too serious.

Sydney, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment