Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Manly, Hugo, Moncur

Friday wanted us to spend the afternoon at Manly Beach. Thank you, Friday. The 20 min ferry crossing was just enough to feel like a holiday. Hugo’s Manly (Peter Fast) has wonderful open/outdoor seating. There was a Plymouth gin and apple cocktail; beers; ham/mushroom pizza with a thin, chewy, crispy crust. We were next to a small group of finance people, one of whom had visited Vancouver; chatting occurred. Actually, we’ve met several people who have visited Vancouver, all of whom thought it a lovely, beautiful city.
On the ferry back to Sydney, we became surrounded by a flotilla of sailing vessels. I have no idea what was going on, and didn’t have a chance to check the news anywhere for details.
[with some luck, there will be photos inserted later]
Upon arriving “home” in the early evening, D decided to re-pack her bag, for our road trip. I headed to Woolongong to Bistro Moncur. On my arrival, I headed upstairs to the Terrace, and was immediately seated, in a “good spot”. I asked about portion sizes and decided on the pork, almond and smoked hock terrine and pan roasted Suzuki mulloway; then I asked about wines. The maitre d’ produced five bottles, and poured me a sample of each. I settled on Pino Gris from New Zealand, although the Italian would also have worked. (chose another apple cocktail, this time with vodka, for the terrine). The Suzuki Mulloway was accompanied by a silky eggplant puree, braised fennel and crisp-tender sugar snap peas. Service throughout was attentive, and I’ve certainly spent more on a dinner. Managed to get myself quite lost on the way home, probably logging an extra 2-3 km of walking. The Vogs survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment